LU Policy Number: AS.008
Effective Date: 7/30/2013
Approval Date: 7/30/2013
Revised Date: 1/15/2021
Revision Approval Date: 03/11/21
Purpose: Sets forth the reinstatement framework for dismissed undergraduate students of Life University
Additional Authority: N/A
Scope: All undergraduate students of Life University Approval Authority: President
Responsible Authority: Academic Affairs
Recipients: Admissions, Registrar, University Advisement Publications: University Catalog and Website
Undergraduate Reinstatement Policy
Undergraduate students who have been academically dismissed from Life University as a result of the Academic Standing Policy (AS.038) and the Dismissal Appeal Process may apply for re- entry into an undergraduate program after two academic quarters or one academic semester and pending satisfactory completion of a minimum of 12 semester credits/18 quarter credits with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher from an accredited institution of higher education. Re- admission is subject to review and approval by the Undergraduate Admissions Committee and the Dean to whom the program reports.
A student who is reinstated is automatically placed on academic probation until a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 is achieved. Academic requirements will be determined by the Catalog in force at the time the student re-enrolls at the University. For further information concerning reinstatement, students should consult with the Office of Admissions.
Should a student be academically dismissed a second time, they will not be reinstated to any undergraduate program within the University.
Reinstatement is not automatic upon request. The student must complete the Petition for Undergraduate Reinstatement package to include the following:
- • Completed Petition for Undergraduate Reinstatement Form
- • Student Statement (typed not handwritten) briefly explaining specific strategies the student will take to raise their GPA above required minimums. The student should reflect on the causes that led to academic difficulties and be sure to link the plan for academic improvement to concrete strategies and to a specific academic plan.
- • Academic Plan (developed with academic advisor input) showing quarterly course plan. The student must consult with their Academic Advisor before deviating from this Academic Plan. Students who deviate from the Academic Plan submitted during the reinstatement process will not be considered for reinstatement if they are dropped for low scholarship again in a subsequent quarter.
- • Statement from the Academic Advisor of the student’s department concurring (or not) with the academic plan (developed with academic adviser input). This is the academic advisor’s opportunity to offer reasoning in support of the student plan and the ability of the student to successfully achieve the plan and to note any reservations about the details of the plan. The academic advisor must submit this statement in hard copy with the reinstatement packet or via email to the Dean to whom the program reports. If academic advisor is not available, the program coordinator will complete this statement.
- • Unofficial Life University transcripts and copy of transcripts from any coursework taken elsewhere since the student was dismissed from Life University.
- • Admissions Application – A student who is petitioning for reinstatement may file an application before the reinstatement is approved. There is a non- refundable application fee.
The reinstatement packet will be kept on file for 6 years after the student’s graduation date.
Deadlines: Completed Reinstatement Packets must be submitted by the deadlines listed below
Reinstatement for Fall Quarter August 15th
Reinstatement for Winter Quarter November 10th
Reinstatement for Spring Quarter February 15th
Reinstatement for Summer Quarter May 10th
Approved by Provost Council on 7/30/13