LU Policy Number: AS.007
Effective Date: 4/29/2015
Approval Date: 4/29/2015
Revised Date: 7/30/2016
Purpose: Sets forth the reinstatement framework for dismissed DC students
Additional Authority: N/A
Scope: All Students of COC, Life University
Approval Authority: Provost/EVPAA
Responsible Authority: Academic Affairs-Student
DC Reinstatement Policy
Life University is committed to allowing students to achieve their goal of serving the public as chiropractic practitioners. In recognition of Life’s commitment to high academic standards, we acknowledge that students who have been dismissed should be allowed to remediate and in the process demonstrate that they are able to achieve the academic success necessary to complete the Doctor of Chiropractic Program (DCP) with acceptable Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
To that end, the following policy has been approved.
Students who have been academically dismissed from the College of Chiropractic (COC) as a result of the Satisfactory Academic Progress criteria (Winter 2006) and Dismissal Appeal Process may apply for reentry into the DCP after one academic year and pending satisfactory completion of a minimum of 20 semester credits /30 quarter credits of upper level (and/or graduate — level) biological or natural sciences with / without lab from an accredited University or an equivalent to be determined by the COC Admissions Committee and or Dean.
Upon exhausting the Dismissal Appeal process students may:
- Apply to and complete required credits from an accredited university.
- If credits are obtained in either the undergraduate or the graduate program at Life University, the student must meet and fulfill all existing academic policies of the respective program.
- While engaged in non-DCP studies at Life University the student may participate in all activities of the university and chiropractic program, except those activities/seminars etc., that involves the instruction of chiropractic technique or application of practice.
- Upon successful completion of the required credits, the student may reapply for the DCP. If all current prerequisite criteria for the DCP have been met, including maintaining a “B” average throughout the 20/30 credits hours of study the student’s reapplication will be forwarded to the COC Admissions Committee.
- The reapplication will be reviewed by the COC Admissions Committee. Their charge will be to determine if the required coursework has been successfully completed.
- Academic amnesty will begin upon reacceptance into the program. This will entail the student beginning studies at first credit/first quarter and no credit or consideration will be provided for courses previously completed within the Life University DCP. In addition, no credit will be provided or consideration given for DCP courses previously completed from any other CCE accredited institution.
- Condition of reacceptance will be under terms of academic contract. Failure to meet terms of contract will result in immediate dismissal.
- Reentry into the DCP will be according to the SAP that is in effect at the time of reentry.
All policy and regulations that relate to financial aid eligibility are separate and distinct from the DCP. Reentry does not entail, or entitle, the student to additional considerations regarding financial aid. Students who are reaccepted with academic amnesty should be aware that while previous grades are not used to calculate the new grade point average, they will be used to evaluate SAP for financial aid purposes in accordance with Federal Financial Aid Regulations.
All questions and concerns related to financial aid should be discussed with a financial aid advisor.
Approved on 4/29/2015, Revision approved on 7/30/2016